Sri Lankan University Students’ protest march tear-gassed in Colombo
Sri Lanka Police used tear gas and water cannons to disperse the protest march staged by the students of the Inter University Students Federation (IUSF) at the entrance to Bank of Ceylon Mawatha, Colombo.
A massive anti-government rally organised by the IUSF kicked off near the University of Kelaniya this afternoon (July 08).
Thousands of students demand for the immediate resignation of Sri Lanka President Gotabaya Rajapaksa and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe.
Earlier today (July 08), the Colombo Chief Magistrate rejected a request made by the police, seeking a restraining order to prevent the IUSF protestors from entering several roads in the Cinnamon Garden police area.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023