Sri Maha Bodhi sapling to be planted in Buddhagaya to mark 2600th Sambuddha Jayanthi
Onlanka News – By Janaka Alahapperuma
(Pix by: Sudath Silva)
A sapling of the Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi in Anuradhapura was brought to Temple Trees which is ready to be send to India on Monday 14 February. The sapling to be taken to India for planting at Buddhagaya to mark the 2600th Sambuddha Jayanthi celebrations was removed from the Uda Maluwa of the Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi recently in a colourful ceremony.
This special religious ceremony was attended by the Maha Sangha led by Atamasthanadhipati and Chief Sanghanayaka Ven Pallegama Siriniwasa Nayaka Thera and a large number of devotees including North Central Province Governor Karunaratne Divulgane, Chief Minister Berty Premalal Dissanayake and Parliamentarians and Provincial Councilors. The sapling was placed in a gilded casket by Chief Minister Dissanayake.
After a pirikara pooja the Bo-sapling was taken in a special motorcade to the Anuradhapura city from where it was airlifted to Dambakolapatuna in Jaffna peninsula escorted by Dr Palitha Mahanthegama.
When the sapling reached Colombo via Vavuniya, Dambulla, Kandy, Pelmadulla and Matara, President Rajapaksa worshiped at the sapling in the religious ceremony conducted by Maha Sangha at Temple Trees. Later on behalf of the Government of Sri Lanka, President Mahinda Rajapaksa officially handed over the Sri Maha Bodhi Sapling to the Venerable Akuratiye Nanda Thera and Chief Sanghanayake of Bharath (India) Venerable Dr.Dodamgoda Rewatha Thera.
Prime Minister D.M Jayarathna, Ministers, Parliamentarians, Secretary to the President Lalith Weeratunga, President’s Chief of Staff Gamini Senarath, officials of the Ministry of Buddhist Affairs and Naval personnel were also present
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023