SSP Romesh Liyanage interdicted over assault on journalists
SSP Romesh Liyanage of the Special Task Force (STF), who was involved in assault on journalists during the unrest outside Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe’s private residence on Saturday (July 09), has been interdicted with immediate effect.
Action was taken as per the powers vested with the Inspector General of Police (IGP), and with approval from the Public Services Commission.
Several journalists were injured after a brutal assault by Police and STF personnel on duty outside the Prime Minister’s private residence on Saturday (July 09).
Earlier, IGP C.D. Wickramaratne was instructed to take immediate action against the officers following an investigation.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023