Stay order on Rajapaksa Museum case hearing extended
The Supreme Court today extended the stay order issued on the hearing of the DA Rajapaksa Museum case filed against Former Secretary of Defence Gotabaya Rajapaksa and six others at the Permanent High Court-at-Bar, until the 14th of October.
The order was issued on a majority decision by a bench comprising of Justices LTB Dehideniya, S Thurairajah and Gamini Amarasekera.
The hearing of the case filed against Gotabaya Rajapaksa and six others over the misappropriation of Rs.33.9 million in state funds for the construction of the DA Rajapaksa Museum in Weeraketiya, was due to be taken up at the Permanent High Court-at-Bar.
Meanwhile, previously Gotabaya Rajapaksa challenged the jurisdiction of the High Court to hear the case.
However, the petition was rejected by the Permanent High Court-at-Bar and subsequently by the Court of Appeal.
Following the verdicts, Gotabaya Rajapaksa filed a motion at the Supreme Court challenging the determinations of lower courts.
Accordingly, the case will be taken up for hearing on the 11th of October.
(Source: News Radio)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Keheliya Rambukwella further remanded until March 14, 2024 February 29, 2024
- Supreme Court invalidates Cabinet decision granting Paget road residence to Maithripala Sirisena February 29, 2024
- Nagananda Kodituwakku barred from practicing as Attorney-at-Law February 29, 2024
- Sri Lanka President highlights country’s Indian ocean security commitment at Pathfinder Conference February 29, 2024
- 36 persons injured in a bus accident in Monaragala February 29, 2024