STF brought in to control students
Posted in Local News
The Special Task Force (STF) has been deployed to areas of the Galle road to control the large number of students from the Sri Jayawardenapura University who are heading to Temple Trees.
Courtesy: DM Online
- Sri Lanka signs agreement with RM Parks Inc to ensure uninterrupted fuel supply June 8, 2023
- Police secures court order to block NPP protest planned for today June 8, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka to face rape trial in Australia June 8, 2023
- Digital Promotion Agency to be established for introducing new App to collect data of public sector – President June 8, 2023
- SriLankan CEO believes ‘worst is over’, expects $50 Million profit next year June 7, 2023
One cannot help noting the automatic rifles and sub-machine guns of the Special Task Force cadres sent to control a civil disobedience campaign by university students.
All they have to do is kill one or two unarmed but aggressive students, and we will be able to see repeats of how revolutions start in countries. These “martyrs” will be used by vested interest groups who thrive in maintaining a politicised and polarised community.
I do hope that the commanding officers have issued strict orders not to take the life of any protester, and to perhaps use controlled force that does not exceed the force that a student mght exert on the law enforcers.
Proportionate physical responses may be called for, but the issues have to be settled by having good dialogues with authorities, affording full media coverage on especially television, so that people can make their own decisions as to who is right, who is unfair, what are the problems, what are the suggested solutions, who is competent and who is not, so that they cannot hide behind others in conducting their actions.