Supreme Court decides not to proceed with Fundamental Rights petitions against Sri Lankan President
The Supreme Court today (September 26) decided not to proceed with legal action against President Ranil Wickremesinghe in respect of several Fundamental Rights petitions filed over Easter Sunday attacks as he is the incumbent President.
The order was issued by a seven-member Supreme Court bench led by Chief Justice Jayantha Jayasuriya.
The incumbent President had been named as a respondent in the fundamental rights petitions filed over failure to take steps to prevent the terrorist attacks on Easter Sunday despite receiving prior intelligence.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023