Swamy seeks ban on Prabhakaran’s birth anniversary celebration
BJP leader Subramanian Swamy on Friday urged Indian Home Minister Rajnath Singh to issue a directive to the Tamil Nadu government to ban the move to celebrate birth anniversary of slain LTTE chief V Prabhakaran, who was responsible for killing of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
“These celebrations are being organised by MDMK leader Vaiko. MDMK must be ejected from the NDA and Vaiko should be locked up under the National Security Act,” Swamy said in a press release.
The BJP leader said that the directive should be issued under Article 256, which mandated the state to ensure compliance with the laws made by Parliament and any existing laws which apply in that state.
Swamy also wanted the Home Minister to order setting up of a Special Investigation Team under the CBI to prosecute the crime of murder of Sunanda Pushkar, wife of former Union Minister Shashi Tharoor. – PTI
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka to receive about $600 million ADB funding post-IMF approval – official December 6, 2023