The Three Members of Minister Kiriella’s staff granted bail
The three staff members, attached to Minister Lakshman Kiriella’s ministry who were arrested at the Central Mail Exchange with defamatory letters have been granted bail as per the order of the Fort magistrate Ranga Dissanayake.
At the time of their arrest at the Central Mail Exchange (CME) in Pettah, they had in their possession some 600 letters allegedly containing defamatory remarks about the President.
The letters were reportedly addressed to various Buddhist temples across the country.
Fort Magistrate Ranga Dissanayake ordered that the suspects be released on six surety bails of Rs. 500,000 each.
Earlier, the minister in a statement claimed that the letters did not contain any racist ideologies or defamatory remarks against anyone or anti-government propaganda.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023