The Three Members of Minister Kiriella’s staff granted bail
The three staff members, attached to Minister Lakshman Kiriella’s ministry who were arrested at the Central Mail Exchange with defamatory letters have been granted bail as per the order of the Fort magistrate Ranga Dissanayake.
At the time of their arrest at the Central Mail Exchange (CME) in Pettah, they had in their possession some 600 letters allegedly containing defamatory remarks about the President.
The letters were reportedly addressed to various Buddhist temples across the country.
Fort Magistrate Ranga Dissanayake ordered that the suspects be released on six surety bails of Rs. 500,000 each.
Earlier, the minister in a statement claimed that the letters did not contain any racist ideologies or defamatory remarks against anyone or anti-government propaganda.
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023