Three soldiers arrested for extortion from drug traffickers
Three soldiers were arrested for demanding ransom from drug traffickers in Negombo and Chilaw yesterday, police said.
Police Spokesman SDIG Ajith Rohana said that two soldiers were arrested for extorting Rs. 15,000 from a woman involved in drug peddling in the Chilaw area while another soldier was arrested in Negombo for demanding Rs. 80,000 from a man who was also involved in drug trafficking.
The suspects had demanded money from them if they wanted to continue their drug trade.
The spokesman said that Army Commander General Shavendra Silva has said the Army will also begin a special investigation into the three suspects and will take action to remove them from the service.
(Source: Daily Mirror)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023