Trade Minister predicts food shortage in the country
Minister of Trade Bandula Gunawardana says citizens should be prepared to face a food shortage in the future.
Speaking at an opening ceremony yesterday, the Minister said China has the world’s largest population while their food requirements are also high.
The Minister said the Chinese government last week announced that the country must prepare for a world food shortage that stems from the coronavirus.
Minister Gunawardana said Sri Lanka, as a country with a small economy too, is at risk.
Therefore, the Minister said steps must be taken to prevent such a shortage, with food rationing and by being more responsible.
(Source: News Radio)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Railway trade unions in Sri Lanka announce 24-hour token strike over salary cuts March 5, 2024
- Basil Rajapaksa returns to Sri Lanka March 5, 2024
- Sri Lanka President says 42 new laws enacted for economic transformation, 62 laws due for enactment March 5, 2024
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from March 05, 2024 March 4, 2024
- Electricity tariff to be reduced by 21.9% from midnight today March 4, 2024