Train tickets to be made available free of charge for retirees
Retired persons will be able to obtain train tickets free of charge by submitting their National Identity Cards (NICs) to the railway stations.
This scheme will be in effect starting from today (19) following the inauguration that is scheduled to be held at the Fort Railway Station.
The event will take place under the patronage of Transport Service Management Minister Mahinda Amaraweera.
This scheme is jointly led by the Sri Lanka Railways and the Department of Pensions.
(Source: Ada Derana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka moving towards social revolution – Anura December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs US $ 1.4 trillion additional investment to realise SDGs by 2030: IPS study December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Sports Minister appoints new National Sports Council December 4, 2023
- ‘We quit our stressful public sector jobs to earn £150 a month in Sri Lanka’ December 4, 2023
- Suminda Sirisena passes away December 4, 2023