TRC instructs to slow internet speeds
The Telecommunications Regulatory Commission (TRC) of Sri Lanka has instructed internet service providers to restrain internet access in the Kandy District.
The social media in the country is now being filtered as requested by the Defence Ministry so as to prevent transmitting fake news or rumours that instill a fear psychosis or a threat to communal harmony, the Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka (TRCSL) said.
In order to carry this out the service providers have been instructed to control the internet speed, he said. Due to this internet users in Kandy will experience a decrease in internet speeds, however this will be restored to normal within the day, the spokesman said.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023