Two more Samagi Jana Balawegaya candidates withdraw from upcoming polls
Former Central Province Governor Neluka Ekanayake and Denat Paniyandoowage, two candidates of the Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) from the Sabaragamuwa and Galle Districts announced their decision to withdraw from the upcoming elections, becoming the second and third candidates to withdraw from the contest – all from the SJB.
Earlier in the week, former Finance Minister Mangala Samaraweera announced his decision to withdraw from the election.
On Friday SJB candidate for the Ratnapura district, Neluka Ekanayake – the former governor of the Central and Sabaragamuwa Provinces also resigned.
A spokesman for her said that she appreciates the work of President Gotabaya Rajapaksa and therefore she has resigned so that her presence in the current party would not jeopardise the work of the President.
Mr. Paniyandoowage said he was quitting because the party had not given him a place in the district’s organising team, while a spokesman for the SJB said the reason was more of a personal nature concerning the withdrawing candidate.
(Source: The Sunday Times)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023