UN shies away from query on Maj.Gen. Shavendra
News Courtesy: Ada Derana
When questioned on the proposed appointment of Major General Shavendra Silva as the new Sri Lankan Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN, Martin Nesirky, the spokesman for Secretary General Ban Ki-moon shied away without a definitive answer.
What I want to know is, if these reports in Sri Lanka are true, and if such individuals that were actively involved in the final stage of the conflict in Sri Lanka, which is now being investigated by Sri Lanka and advised in, does the Secretary-General have to accept a…a…when he says he accepts credentials, is this an automatic rubber stamp?, the reporter questioned.
Ban Ki-Moon’s spokesman answered saying, On the general point about the procedure, I would need to find out. I do not know. But on the specific, I’m not going to enter into hypotheticals.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Permission not given to Chinese ship to dock, India’s concerns important: Sabry September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka squad named for ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 September 26, 2023
- S&P raises Sri Lanka local currency ratings to ‘CCC+/C’, says outlook stable September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka President expresses dissatisfaction with country’s current education system September 26, 2023
- Chinese model breaks U.S. hegemony: former Sri Lankan diplomat September 26, 2023