UN sub-committee on torture prevention to arrive today
The United Nations sub-committee on Prevention of Torture will arrive in Sri Lanka, today (April 02).
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that a contingent comprising of four members will arrive today (April 02) and remain in the country until the 12th of this month.
The objective of the visit is to examine the treatment of people deprived of their liberty and the safeguards in place for their protection against torture and ill-treatment.
The group is scheduled to meet Foreign Minister Tilak Marapana tomorrow (April 03) and will also hold discussions with various Human Rights organizations.
The subcommittee will visit places of deprivation of liberty and will hold discussions on Sri Lanka establishing an independent National Preventive Mechanism.
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
Are they meeting with TNA and Wigneswaran?