UN sub-committee on torture prevention to arrive today
The United Nations sub-committee on Prevention of Torture will arrive in Sri Lanka, today (April 02).
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that a contingent comprising of four members will arrive today (April 02) and remain in the country until the 12th of this month.
The objective of the visit is to examine the treatment of people deprived of their liberty and the safeguards in place for their protection against torture and ill-treatment.
The group is scheduled to meet Foreign Minister Tilak Marapana tomorrow (April 03) and will also hold discussions with various Human Rights organizations.
The subcommittee will visit places of deprivation of liberty and will hold discussions on Sri Lanka establishing an independent National Preventive Mechanism.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan President calls for grass-root level national program to modernize agriculture March 3, 2024
- UN rights chief raises concerns over Sri Lanka’s proposed laws March 3, 2024
- Sri Lanka seeks five-month hold on bondholder suit March 3, 2024
- Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) makes thumping Rs. 61.2 billion profits last year March 3, 2024
- Dr. Saman Ratnayake remanded until March 14, 2024 March 2, 2024