Uni lecturer and three others hospitalized after student attack
Four individuals including a university lecturer have been hospitalized following an assault by a group of students from the Sri Jayawardenapura University.
The attack had occurred yesterday (March 14) afternoon when the lecturer had intervened in order to disperse a crowd of aggressive students, Dr. N.L.A. Karunaratne, Vice Chancellor of the University of Sri Jayawardenapura claimed.
The cause of the tense situation is reported be when several senior students had attempted to force a group of first-year students into taking part in certain political activities.
A lecturer of the university and three other security officers had then intervened to settle the quarrel and were then attacked by the group of senior students.
The injured have been admitted to the Kalubowila Hospital and are presently receiving treatment.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Nightlife will play a vital role in Sri Lanka’s economic growth and tourist experience February 23, 2024
- Moon landing today: US clinches first touchdown in 50 years February 23, 2024
- Johnston Fernando requests immediate probe into Sanath Nishantha’s death February 22, 2024
- CEB Spokesman Noel Priyantha resigns over controversial remarks February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka settles US$ 20 million Iranian oil debt with tea February 22, 2024