UPFA victory will be etched in annals of Lankan history -President
The concluded Provincial Council election which brought a resounding victory for the UPFA in Sabaragamuwa, North Central and Eastern Provinces will be written in the annals of Sri Lankan election history as the tenth election which was won by UPFA government under my leadership, President Mahinda Rajapaksa in a press release on the UPFA victory said. “This election was a national referendum which clariified the Sinhala, Muslim and Tamil communities’ standpoint.
This has further provided us the energy to carry out the development initiative strengthening democracy in the country, while “he said. “We are glad to see that the people kept utmost confidence in the government and Sri Lankan nation by defeating forces which expected to reap narrow aims by spreading racism, religious extremism, regionalism and other extremist tendencies.
The President expressed his thanks to everybody who supported to hold a free and fair election. He thanked the Election Commissioner’s Department which was dedicated to bring out a true verdict of people by holding a corruption free election. In addition, President Rajapaksa thanked all candidates of Government and Opposition parties , members of Security Forces and people of all three provinces.
He urged all parties to gather on behalf of the common responsibility before the challenges of the country. “We can successfully approach one aim if both winner and loser are united”, he said.
Courtesy: Daily News
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023
- Trains delayed on coastal line due to derailment near Kollupitiya September 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s revenue shortfall concerns IMF team – sources September 27, 2023
- Airman killed, another injured in explosion at Kandakuliya Air Force Training Camp September 26, 2023