Victory for UPFA
The United People’s Freedom Alliance led by President Mahinda Rajapaksa has won all three provincial councils –North Central, Eastern and Sabaragamuwa – at Saturday’s Provincial Council election.
The UPFA was able to win all the three Provincial Councils obtaining 51.05 per cent of the total votes and securing 63 seats. The main opposition UNP obtained 27.67 per cent, TNA obtained 9.63 per cent and the SLMC 6.46 per cent.
Significantly, the UPFA won 14 seats in the Eastern Provincial Council, while the Tamil National Alliance secured 11.
Courtesy: DM Online
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Defence Ministry refutes reports of ‘lavish spending’ for entertaining military heads December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka moving towards social revolution – Anura December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs US $ 1.4 trillion additional investment to realise SDGs by 2030: IPS study December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Sports Minister appoints new National Sports Council December 4, 2023
- ‘We quit our stressful public sector jobs to earn £150 a month in Sri Lanka’ December 4, 2023