US Ambassador meets Foreign Minister over travel ban on Army Chief
The United States Ambassador to Sri Lanka Alaina B Teplitz met with Foreign Minister Dinesh Gunawardena on the travel restriction imposed on Commander of the Army Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva.
The US Ambassador arrived at the Ministry of Foreign Relations this afternoon (16) as she had been summoned to the Ministry to convey Sri Lanka’s stance on the matter.
Following the meeting with Minister Gunawardena, the Ambassador left the Ministry premises a short while ago, stated Ada Derana reporter.
The Government of the United States imposed travel restrictions on Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva and his immediate family members “due to credible information of his involvement in gross violations of human rights”.
However, the Foreign Ministry issued a statement, pointing out that there were no substantiated or proven allegations of human rights violations against the Army Commander and strongly objected to the travel restrictions imposed on him.
(Source: Ada Derana)
- Police secures court order to block NPP protest planned for today June 8, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka to face rape trial in Australia June 8, 2023
- Digital Promotion Agency to be established for introducing new App to collect data of public sector – President June 8, 2023
- SriLankan CEO believes ‘worst is over’, expects $50 Million profit next year June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s official reserve assets increase by 26.2% in May June 7, 2023
US has a unique perception on democracy and human rights!
On the one hand, credible evidence was obstructed during the trial to impeach President Trump.
On the other hand, they claim to have “credible evidence” , which we are unaware of, condemning the Commander of our army.
Perhaps, US should act on credible evidence relating to their own Commander in chief, President Trump, before interfering in our affairs!
Actually, they (party in power) did not want to hear the ‘credible evidence’ probably because evidence will be convincing enough to impeach Trump. So, the Republicans decided not to hear what the witnesses have to say.