US for comprehensive military ties with Lanka after reconciliation
The United States today stated that it looked forward to a resumption of a more comprehensive military relationship once the Government of Sri Lanka has made better progress toward reconciliation and accountability.
US Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asian Affairs, Nisha Biswal expressed this view while speaking at the Harvard University. She added that Sri Lanka has fortunately ended its civil war, though reconciliation has proved challenging.
Following the March UN Human Rights Council resolution in Sri Lanka, we continue to call for credible efforts to ensure accountability and justice, she said.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Parliament approves VAT (amendment) Bill December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka reports 80,222 dengue cases with 47 deaths December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka Parliament decides to debate VAT (amendment) Bill today December 11, 2023
- ‘Unfair, Really Surprised’: Anjum Chopra on Chamari Athapaththu going unsold at WPL Auction December 11, 2023
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023