USAID Administrator Samantha Power arrives in Sri Lanka
Administrator of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Samantha Power has arrived in Sri Lanka today (September 10) for a two-day official visit.
The purpose of the two-day visit is to discuss problems related to the prevailing economic crisis and strengthen the development partnership between the United States and Sri Lanka.
When she visited New Delhi in July, Ambassador Power said the Joe Biden administration and the Indian Government are “deeply concerned” by the economic collapse and crisis that has befallen the Sri Lankan people.
She is expected to hold discussions with Sri Lankan President Ranil Wickremesinghe and other government officials during her visit.
USAID administrator’s visit comes after U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen informed the Sri Lankan government that the United States, as a creditor nation, would participate in restructuring Sri Lanka’s debt.
The U.S. Treasury Department, welcoming President Wickremesinghe’s proposal for a coordination platform for Sri Lanka’s official bilateral creditors, has urged engagement in this regard.
The United States also pledged to continue to engage with their other government agencies, as well as the World Bank and Asian Development Bank, to assist the people of Sri Lanka.
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
Well, well during one of her visits during Yahapalanaya era she visited Jaffna and played cricket with Jaffna girls. I am sure this time around she gonna play ‘gudu” with Colombo damsels!
Pretty bad, Mangala Samaraweera was taken by COVID. He used to lick the high heels like no other! She got to find a new ‘bend backward until the head tough the floor’ .
All strongly believe Samantha Power will ensure that her funding to SL will not be diverted for massive ministerial appointments & related expenditure at this juncture, ie: – under the current economic melt-down.