Vaiko arrested over protest against MR
MDMK chief Vaiko courted arrest at Parliament Street police station in New Delhi on Friday along with 60 -70 supporters while protesting against Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s visit to India.
Vaiko was arrested while leading the MDMK protest march from Parliament Street to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s residence.
Rajapaksa’s visit led to an outrage among pro-Tamil groups with the DMK too taking to the streets to protest against the Sri Lankan President’s presence in India. The DMK, led by M Karunanidhi and his daughter Kanimozhi, are leading protests in Chennai.
The DMK-backed Tamil Ealam Supporters’ Organisation will hold a protest wearing black outfits. The group will also stage a black flag protest at Tirupati. Prohibitory orders have been imposed in Tirupati in view of the protests.
Rajapaksa would not be visiting New Delhi, officials asserted, dismissing notions that the Sri Lankan President might engage with some of the Indian leaders with a view to seek New Delhi’s support on the US moved resolution against Sri Lanka at the next UN Human Rights Council sessions in March. (IBN Live)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka approves Sinopec’s $4.5 billion refinery proposal November 28, 2023
- Tamil Nadu government failed to understand the problem in Sri Lanka: Murali November 27, 2023
- Harin appointed Sports Minister, Pavithra appointed Irrigation Minister November 27, 2023