Attack on Bank of Ceylon Branch in Chennai
The Sri Lanka Deputy High Commission in Chennai has reported that a mob of around 15 people , carrying iron rods, wooden sticks and knives had entered the office of the Bank of Ceylon Branch at Poonamallee High Road in Chennai at 1.30 p.m. on 7th February 2013. The mob had overpowered two police personnel and a security guard of a private company manning the gate of the premises, smashed the window panels of the security room of the Bank of Ceylon Office and the glass doors of the ATM centre and had injured a staff member of the Bank and caused cut injuries to a trainee .
The two injured bank staff were admitted to Kilpauk Medical Collage Hospital (MMC, Kilpauk) in Chennai and are out of danger.
The Deputy High Commission has taken steps to contact the police authorities and security is maintained at the Bank of Ceylon premises.
The Ministry of External Affairs requested the Sri Lanka High Commission in New Delhi to seek the assistance of the Government of India in providing security to other Sri Lankan establishments such as Maha Bodhi Society, Sri Lankan Airlines and to all other Sri Lankans living in India in the wake of the above incident.
Ministry of External Affairs
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023