Ven. Galwewa Siridhamma Thero hospitalized
Venerable Galwewa Siridhamma Thero, who is detained in Tangalle under the Prevention of Terrorism Act (PTA), has been admitted to the National Hospital due to an illness, according to the hospital sources.
Ven. Galwewa Siridhamma Thero is the convenor of the Inter-University Bhikkhus’ Federation (IUBF).
The Defence Ministry had issued detention orders against Ven. Galwewa Siridhamma Thero, Inter-University Students’ Federation (IUSF) convenor Wasantha Mudalige and Hashantha Jeevantha Gunathilake, an activist of the ‘Aragalaya’ protest movement on August 22, granting permission to detain them for 90 days and be questioned by the police.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023