Ven. Gnanasara may be released on Feb. 4: Duminda
UPFA MP Duminda Dissanayake said yesterday he was confident that the President would release Bodu Bala Sena (BBS) general secretary the Ven. Galagodaaththe Gnanasara Thera on February 4.
He told this to the media after visiting the monk at the Welikada prison and said he had spoken to President about releasing the monk.
“The Thera should be released on the Independence Day after considering the service he rendered to the country, to Sinhala Buddhists and his struggle to protect the Buddhism in the country,” MP said. Ven. Gnanasara Thera was sentenced to 19-years imprisonment to be served in six years, after being found guilty of the charge of contempt of court.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Chaturanga Samarawickrama)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- IMF Team to conduct second review of Sri Lanka’s EFF program in March 2024 February 28, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s education ministry halts outdoor school activities due to heat February 28, 2024
- Santhan, released convict in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, dies due to illness February 28, 2024
- Suspect wanted over Mahabage shooting killed in clash with STF February 28, 2024
- Ronnie de Mel passes away February 27, 2024