Vijayakala’s pro-LTTE statement AG instructs IGP to file suit
The Attorney General (AG) has instructed the Inspector General of Police (IGP) to take legal action against former State Minister of Children and Women’s Affairs Vijayakala Maheswaran for allegedly making statements to the effect that the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam should be re-established and thereby allegedly causing disharmony amongst the ethnic communities.
The AG has instructed the IGP to take action against Maheswaran as per Section 120 of the Penal Code.
Maheswaran had made the controversial statement on 2 July at a State event at the Weerasingham Hall in Jaffna.
General Secretary of the Sihala Ravaya, Ven. Magalkande Sudaththa Thera and Chairman of the Sihala Ravaya, Liyanage Abeysekera Suresh Prasad had lodged a complaint seeking an investigation in this regard, upon which a probe commenced.
The Organized Crimes Prevention Division informed the Court that Maheswaran, through her statement had committed offences under the Prevention of Terrorism Act, Article 6 of the Constitution, and Sections 115 and 120 of the Penal Code.
(Source: Ceylon Today)
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
Everyone is happy because Ven. Gnanasara is behind bars. In that particular situation the so called Law in SL swiftly worked. There are individuals like the Honorable Minister Baduddin who threw stones to the court. At that time unfortunately the Lady-law was in a deep sleep. For madam Vijayakala, law has not worked so far. Why? As Sunil Perera says: I don’t know WHY?
Not all are happy, Amarakoon.
As a true Sinhala Buddhist, I view Ven Galgoda Atthe Gnanasara as the conscience of the Nation.
His incarceration on dubious grounds will impact significantly on our Sinhala Buddhist social fabric.
He should receive a Presidential pardon.