Voting at PC election in progress
Voting at the North, North Western and Central Provinces began at 7.00 am this morning and will continue till 4.00pm in the evening today.
Deputy Elections Commissioner R.M.A.L. Ratnayaka said 4,363,251 voters were eligible to vote to elect 56 members to the Central, 50 members to the North-Western and 36 members to the Northern Provincial Councils at 3,743 polling stations set up in 54 constituencies.
“We have set up 21 special polling stations in Puttalam, two in Anuradhapura and one in Jaffna for the Internally Displaced People,” he said and added that another unique feature at this election is the use of transparent plastic ballot boxes.
Mr. Ratnayaka said 3,785 candidates from 25 political parties and 75 independent groups were vying for the 142 slots in the three provinces in addition to two bonus seats in each of the three provinces.
The postal voting for the PC polls was held on the 13th and 14th where 111,383 voters were eligible to vote by post out of 133,542 applications received by the Elections Department.
(Courtesy: DM Online)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch new vehicle revenue license system (eRL 2.0) on October 7 October 3, 2023
- World’s leading tech companies deeply criticize Sri Lanka’s Online Safety Bill October 2, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government says No more emergency purchases of medicines October 2, 2023
- IMF unveils 16-point plan to address governance challenges in Sri Lanka October 2, 2023
- Corrupt elements use Parliament, Finance Ministry to evade taxes October 2, 2023