WAITING AND WAITING – MOON WARNED SRI LANKA
“I have been waiting and waiting until the Sri Lankan government would respond” said the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon . His remarks were made in an exclusive press meeting with Norwegian Foreign Media on 10 October in Oslo. Journalist Nadarajah Sethurupan has questioned the Secretary General when he attended the International Climate and Energy Summit that opens on Monday, hosted by the Norwegian Government.
The Secretary-General stated, “On Sri Lankan issues as you remember, I have established a Panel of Experts and they have reviewed all these situations and made many recommendations. These recommendations are something which needs to be implemented by the Sri Lankan people. I have been waiting and waiting until the Sri Lankan government would respond, positively, to the implementation of recommendation done by Panel of Experts.”
“Just a couple of weeks ago I decided to refer this report to the Human Rights Council and my High Commissioner for Human Rights and they are now reviewing this Panel of Experts Report.” he further said.
“I met the President Rajapaksa just two weeks ago on the occasion of the United Nations General Assembly and we discussed this matter. He assured me that he would do his best to ensure the human rights of all his Tamil People be protected and promoted and also would do all domestic measures to see that justice prevailed.” the Secretary General added.
Courtesy: Colombo Telegraph
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka to receive about $600 million ADB funding post-IMF approval – official December 6, 2023