We will arrest Thewarapperuma – SSP
Police Spokesman Ajith Rohana said three people were arrested yesterday in connection with the assault, on Sunday, of SLFP Pradeshiya Sabha member Arumugam Pushpakumara in Agalawatte.
SSP Rohana said the main suspect UNP MP Palitha Thewarapperuma would also be arrested.
Mr. Thewarapperuma and his supporters had allegedlyassaulted the Pradeshiya Sabha member after he allegedly removed green flags and put up blue flags in Agalawatte town.
Former minister Mahinda Samarasinghe had complained to the IGP over the assault and handed over a video of the assault to the IGP.
SSP Rohana said several other people were to be arrested in connection with the incident.
Meanwhile, President Maithripala Sirisena has instructed the Police Chief to appoint a special team to investigate the assault at Agalawatta on Sunday morning and to take legal action against the miscreants.
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023