White Cane Flag Day begins
– by Janaka Alahapperuma – Pix by Nalin Hewapathirana –
The first flag of the flag campaign launched by the Sri Lanka Council of Visually Impaired Graduates’ Association in line with International White Cane Day was pinned on President Mahinda Rajapaksa at Tempe Trees this afternoon on 08 October. International White Cane Day will be commemorated on next Tuesday as it is marked on October 15 each year.
The aim of selling flags is to raise funds for the welfare of visually impaired students. The first flag was pinned on the President by the chairman of the association Sugath Wasantha De Silva. A symbolic presentation of white canes also took place today to mark International White Cane Day.
The President had a cordial discussion with members of the Sri Lanka Council of Visually Impaired Graduates’ and posed for a group photograph. Minister of Social Services Felix Perera, Secretary to the Ministry Emelda Sukumar, Secretary of the Visually Impaired Graduates’ Association P.D.Nihal and Treasure Padma Kumari Karunathilaka were present at the occasion.
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023