Wimal’s fast to death ends
Minister Wimal Weerawansa has ended his fast unto death after President Mahinda Rajapaksa visited him outside the UN office a short while ago. President Rajapaksa had offered Weerawansa water which the Minister accepted and he was later driven away in an ambulance to the army hospital.
Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa and the family of Minister Weerawansa also visited the site of the protest just minutes before the arrival of the President. Weerawansa commenced the fast unto death three days ago to protest the appointment of a panel on Sri Lanka by UN Secretary General Ban ki-moon.
Weerawansa had earlier said he will not give up the fast until the UN Chief gives an assurence that the panel will be dissolved.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka aims to streamline tax structure, boost collections October 4, 2023
- Tharushi Karunarathna wins Gold at Asian Games in China October 4, 2023
- Litro gas prices increased from tonight (October 04) October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023