Women have many opportunities in Sri Lanka – PM
Prime Minister D M Jayaratne said that he could not accept the claim that women in Sri Lanka suffer discrimination and firmly believed that there is a reasonable environment for women to realize their aspirations.
He was addressing the International Women’s Day National Ceremony at the BMICH yesterday. It was held under the theme “her knowledge and strength to develop the nation.”
The general belief is that most women are obstructed from entering politics, but there is no legal obstruction for this as far as he knew.
He also pointed out that the Mahinda Chintana gave priority to strengthen women. Therefore the Prime Minister appreciated the decision made by the Economic Development Ministry to establish one million domestic economic units throughout the country to enhance the living strandard of families.
Many people are talking about the abuse of women, hence spiritual development is necessary to solve domestic problems, he said.
Deputy Speaker Chandima Weerakkody said women are employed as top professionals. There are lady lawyers, judges, doctors etc.
In the politics too there is women representation although the percentage is low. Therefore he requested women to come forward to increase women’s representation in politics.
The UPFA party had nominated nearly 150 women for the upcoming Local Government Election, Child Development and Women’s Affairs Minister Tissa Karaliyadda said.
Economic Development Minister Basil Rajapaksa, Mrs Chandra Rajapaksa, Minister Sumedha G Jayasena and several Ministers too were present.
Courtesy: Daily News
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023