Women have many opportunities in Sri Lanka – PM
Prime Minister D M Jayaratne said that he could not accept the claim that women in Sri Lanka suffer discrimination and firmly believed that there is a reasonable environment for women to realize their aspirations.
He was addressing the International Women’s Day National Ceremony at the BMICH yesterday. It was held under the theme “her knowledge and strength to develop the nation.”
The general belief is that most women are obstructed from entering politics, but there is no legal obstruction for this as far as he knew.
He also pointed out that the Mahinda Chintana gave priority to strengthen women. Therefore the Prime Minister appreciated the decision made by the Economic Development Ministry to establish one million domestic economic units throughout the country to enhance the living strandard of families.
Many people are talking about the abuse of women, hence spiritual development is necessary to solve domestic problems, he said.
Deputy Speaker Chandima Weerakkody said women are employed as top professionals. There are lady lawyers, judges, doctors etc.
In the politics too there is women representation although the percentage is low. Therefore he requested women to come forward to increase women’s representation in politics.
The UPFA party had nominated nearly 150 women for the upcoming Local Government Election, Child Development and Women’s Affairs Minister Tissa Karaliyadda said.
Economic Development Minister Basil Rajapaksa, Mrs Chandra Rajapaksa, Minister Sumedha G Jayasena and several Ministers too were present.
Courtesy: Daily News
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Keheliya Rambukwella further remanded until March 14, 2024 February 29, 2024
- Supreme Court invalidates Cabinet decision granting Paget road residence to Maithripala Sirisena February 29, 2024
- Nagananda Kodituwakku barred from practicing as Attorney-at-Law February 29, 2024
- Sri Lanka President highlights country’s Indian ocean security commitment at Pathfinder Conference February 29, 2024
- 36 persons injured in a bus accident in Monaragala February 29, 2024