Yupun Abeykoon wins 100 metres bronze at Commonwealth Games 2022
Sri Lankan sprinter Yupun Abeykoon won Bronze in the Men’s 100 metres at the Commonwealth Games 2022 in Birmingham, England on Wednesday, clocking a time of 10.14 seconds.
The first Asian to win a Commonwealth Games medal in the event, Abeykoon was only 0.01 seconds behind Olympic Games finalist Akani Simbine of South Africa who took Silver.
Ferdinand Omanyala of Kenya won Gold with a time of 10.02 secs.
Abeykoon is the first Sri Lankan in 24 years to win a Commonwealth Games Medal in track and field events, after Sriyani Kulawansa won Silver in the Women’s 100m Hurdles and Sugath Thilakaratne won Bronze in the Men’s 400m at the Kuala Lumpur 1998 Games.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka approves Sinopec’s $4.5 billion refinery proposal November 28, 2023