151 Sri Lankans rescued at sea deported from Vietnam
A group of 151 Sri Lankan refugees who were rescued after their boat suffered a mechanical issue and was drifting in the high seas and later detained in Vietnam were deported back to the country after they agreed to return to Sri Lanka.
The duty Manager of the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) said the group returned to Sri Lanka through a chartered flight from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam on Tuesday (December 27) night.
303 Sri Lankans were rescued when a boat capsized off the coast of Vietnam on November 08, 2022.
The Department of Immigration and Emigration said that individual statements are being recorded from the group and they would be handed over to the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) for further investigations.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Railway trade unions in Sri Lanka announce 24-hour token strike over salary cuts March 5, 2024
- Basil Rajapaksa returns to Sri Lanka March 5, 2024
- Sri Lanka President says 42 new laws enacted for economic transformation, 62 laws due for enactment March 5, 2024
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from March 05, 2024 March 4, 2024
- Electricity tariff to be reduced by 21.9% from midnight today March 4, 2024