31st of July to be named National Sports Day
The Cabinet of Ministers has granted approval to name the 31st of July as National Sports Day.
The Cabinet Paper was tabled by Minister of Sports Namal Rajapaksa.
The Cabinet of Ministers on the 10th of July 2014 decided to declare the 6th of April as National Sports Day.
However, the Sports Minister proposed amending the date to the 31st of July, as the public focuses their attention towards Sinhala and Tamil New Year preparations in the month of April.
Duncan White won the silver medal for 400 metre hurdles to recognize Sri Lanka globally at a Summer Olympic festival on the 31st of July.
(Source: News Radio)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023