500,000 workers would lose jobs due to Coronavirus impact – Ranil
Warning that 500,000 workers ranging from three-wheeler drivers to high level executives would lose their jobs due to the impact of the rampaging Coronavirus, UNP leader Ranil Wickremesinghe said last week that the government, by printing Rs. 200 billion during an economic recession, had only succeeded in pushing up inflation.
Pointing out that the government’s response to the crisis was inadequate, he said the country should be provided with an economic assessment of the situation, a credible economic package and urgent relief for the self employment, SME and construction sectors, before more jobs and livelihoods were lost.
Wickremesinghe also called for the recent ban on imports to be lifted, noting that domestic industries required imported raw materials.
Apparel exports would lose 60 percent of its income, tourism would have a very bad year and foreign remittances would reduce by 20 percent. These issues should be resolved by working with the IMF, he added.
(Source: The Island – By Zacki Jabbar)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Official Creditor Committee confirms debt treatment deal with Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka President appoints Deshabandu Tennakoon as acting IGP November 29, 2023
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023