Anuradha Cooray qualifies for London Olympics
Sri Lankan marathon runner Anuradha Cooray has qualified for the 2012 London Olympics after he finished the London Marathon today (April 22) clocking two hours 17 minutes and 50 seconds, President of the Athletic Association of Sri Lanka (AASL), Major General Palitha Fernando said.
Anuradha Indrajith Cooray, the first ever Sri Lankan to compete in London Marathon, finished overall 23rd just 10 seconds less than the qualifying standard time.
National badminton champion, Niluka Karunarathne, is the only other Sri Lankan sportsman so far qualified for 2012 Olympics to be held in London in July, this year.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Permission not given to Chinese ship to dock, India’s concerns important: Sabry September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka squad named for ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 September 26, 2023
- S&P raises Sri Lanka local currency ratings to ‘CCC+/C’, says outlook stable September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka President expresses dissatisfaction with country’s current education system September 26, 2023
- Chinese model breaks U.S. hegemony: former Sri Lankan diplomat September 26, 2023