Arjuna wants probe on bookies
World Cup winning Captain and Minister Arjuna Ranatunga yesterday said that he would soon formally request Finance Minister Mangala Samaraweera to examine profits made by bookies on days the national cricket team lost international matches under controversial and arguable circumstances.
Petroleum Minister Ranatunga said so after attending a public service project at the Balapowa Sri Sudarmarama Purana temple, in Udugampola.
Ranatunga warned of dire consequences unless the Finance Ministry stepped in. There could be further turmoil in case the Finance Ministry refrained from taking tangible action against bookies making money at the expense of sport.
Declaring at the time he played cricket, gambling hadn’t been an issue, Ranatunga pointed out that bookies were now in control of the once great game.
A thorough investigation was required to identify the culprits, Ranatunga said, adding that he would soon take up this matter with Minister Samaraweera.
(Source: The Island)
- Sri Lanka appointed Special parliamentary committee to probe New Diamond, X-Press Pearl disasters June 6, 2023
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
It is hoped that that a bookie involvement is investigated in the discrimination of Ajantha Mendis because of I am quoting From Cric Info ” Ajanta Mendis: Even as the Sri Lankan mystery spinner found himself out of favour many a times through the year, he ended up as the leading wicket taker of 2014 in ODIs. In 17 matches, he took 38 wickets at an average of 21.63, with a wicket every 22.5 balls economic rate 5.76. Apart from some steller batting performances, Ajantha Mendis’ fin form with the ball played a key role in Sri Lanka’s success in 2014, the 5-0 thrashing against India notwithstanding” It is the Sri Lanka team that has suffered from the day Ajantha Mendis was thrown out of the squad in November 2014 the very next day he was named the best ODI bowler in the world for year 2014 by the elite ICC panel , this same panel selected him has the only Sri Lankan Cricketer to be in the eleven for the world ODI team for the year 2014. He was left out of the ODI squad to New Zealand and left out of the world cup 2015 no reason given by the captain and selectors for such actions and also our so called independent media not a hum ?