Azath Salley acquitted from case filed over controversial remarks
Former Governor Azath Salley has been acquitted by the Colombo High Court in the case filed against him over the controversial remarks made during a media briefing held last year.
On March 16, Azath Salley was arrested by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and was detained under the provisions of the Prevention of Terrorism (PTA).
The arrest was made with regard to several controversial remarks Salley had made at a press conference, inciting strife among religious groups.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- World’s leading tech companies deeply criticize Sri Lanka’s Online Safety Bill October 2, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government says No more emergency purchases of medicines October 2, 2023
- IMF unveils 16-point plan to address governance challenges in Sri Lanka October 2, 2023
- Corrupt elements use Parliament, Finance Ministry to evade taxes October 2, 2023
- CEYPETCO and Lanka IOC increases fuel prices October 1, 2023