Basil retires from politics
The decision taken by former Minister of Economic Development Basil Rajapaksa after the presidential elections to exit from active politics remains unchanged, a close associate of his said yesterday.
During the past few months he stayed away from politics, but he extended his support during the general election because of his brother Mahinda Rajapaksa. However, he was not allowed to even fulfil the tasks that he is known to be good at.
Soon after the general elections at a get-together, a large group of intellectuals including university professors, vice chancellors, academics, lawyers, former ministry secretaries, professionals and trade union representatives had met the former Minister.
At this gathering he had refused to get into politics again saying that his decision remained unchanged.
Basil Rajapaksa had also said that he would not give his advice or opinion on the political path they should take, but that he would always maintain his friendship with them.
(Daily FT / FT.LK)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President appoints Deshabandu Tennakoon as acting IGP November 29, 2023
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023