Budget 2016 passed with a majority of 109 votes
The third reading of the Budget 2016 passed in Parliament with a majority of 109 votes with 160 votes in favour and 51 votes against it while 13 members were absent.
Members of the Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna and common opposition voted against the Budget, while opposition MPs Douglas Devananda, Arumugam Thondaman and Lakshman Seneviratne voted in favour of the budget.
Among the 13 Members absent at the time of voting were parliamentarians Mahinda Rajapaksa, Pavithra Wanniarachchi, Wimal Weerawansa, Janaka Bandara Tennakoon and Thenuka Vidanagamage.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023