Budget at a glance
Posted by Editor on January 29, 2015 - 4:02 pm
Salaries of Government servant will be increased by Rs.10,000. Rs.5000 will be given in February while the balance will be given in June.
- Pensions to be increased by Rs.1000 from April 2015
- Samurdhi Allowance to be increased by 200% from April 2015
- Interest rates on deposit of pensioners to be increased up to 15% subject to maximum deposit of one million rupees.
- Pregnant mothers to get an allowance of Rs.20,000 with immediate effect
- Guaranteed price for a litre of fresh milk to be increased by Rs.10
- Price of Kerosene per Ltre reduced by Rs.6 (New price Rs.59)
- Bus fares will be reduced by atleast 10%
- Price of Sugar will be reduced by Rs.10
- Price of Wheat Flour will be reduced by Rs.12.50
- Price of a loaf of bread will be reduced accordingly.
- Prices of Coriander will be reduced by Rs.26 per kilo.
- Maximum retail Price of a 400 gm packet of Milk powder will be reduced to Rs.325
- Price of a 12.5 kg LP Gas will be reduced by Rs.300. New aprice will be Rs.1596
- Taxes imposed on maldive fish will be reduced by Rs.200
- Taxes imposed on canned fish will be reduced by Rs.60
- Taxes imposed on sprats will be reduced by Rs.15 per kg.
- Taxes imposed on green gram will be reduced from 40% to 10%
- A new palace tax will be imposed to be paid annually
- All Sri Lankans who migrate to another country will be liable for an exist tax
- A super gain tax will be imposed for organizations that record a profit of over Rs.200 million
- Taxes imposed on vehicles less than 1000cc to be reduced by 15%, Taxes imposed on hybrid vehicles to be reduced
- Cement prices will be reduced by around Rs.90
- A one time tax of Rs.1000 million will have to be paid by anyone who owns casinos before April 2015
- Marriage registration tax will be reduced by Rs.4000. New tax Rs.1000
- Sports channels with over 5 transmitting stations will have to pay a one time tax of Rs.1000 million
- A Pension Scheme will be introduced for self employed persons
- Mahapola scholarship scheme to be increased to Rs.5000 from February 2015
- Viru Daru special loan scheme of up to Rs.500,000 will be paid for disabled war veterans
- Credit Card interest rates to be reduced by 8%
- Relief will be provided to depositors of non banking financial institutions
- Special bus fare for senior citizens (only 50% of the fare will be charged)
- Sri Lanka Bureau of Foreign Employment registration will be reduced to Rs.5000
- State owned vehicles which are not being used will be sold at an open auction
- Regulations for issuing of liquor licenses to be tightened.
- Sri Lankan Airlines losses over past 5 years Rs 100bn. Mihin Airlines losses over past 5 years Rs. 15bn. The 2 airlines will be merged to increase productivity.
- Taxes imposed on Mobile phone Reloads removed from consumers, Telecommunications Companies asked to bear the tax.
- OPDs of all the state owned hospitals in the country to be kept opened for 24-hours
- Decentralized funds of a Member of Parliament to be increased from Rs 5mn to Rs.10mn. Govt. to allocates Rs. 1120 million for the increase.
- 50% of the loans taken by farmers will be written off, remainder will be compounded to allow for payment on easy terms.
- Funds allocated for Education increased to 6% of the GDP
(Government News Portal)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Permission not given to Chinese ship to dock, India’s concerns important: Sabry September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka squad named for ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 September 26, 2023
- S&P raises Sri Lanka local currency ratings to ‘CCC+/C’, says outlook stable September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka President expresses dissatisfaction with country’s current education system September 26, 2023
- Chinese model breaks U.S. hegemony: former Sri Lankan diplomat September 26, 2023