Cabinet nod to stop construction of new buildings over four floors in Nuwara Eliya
The Cabinet of Ministers has granted approval to the proposal presented by President Ranil Wickremesinghe to introduce laws under Urban Development Authority (UDA) Act to limit construction of buildings of over four stories in the city of Nuwara Eliya district from May 01, 2023.
President Ranil Wickremesinghe recently raised concerns regarding the matter that the allure of Nuwara Eliya city is gradually being decreased as a result of the informal development that is being carried out in the area and it has had a great impact on the tourism industry.
Therefore, the Cabinet of Ministers has granted approval for the relevant proposal since there is a need to prepare a detailed tourism development plan in order to create a necessary environment for the growth of the tourism industry in the area.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka to implement another electricity tariff revision in January 2024 December 9, 2023
- ‘Kush’ worth Rs. 100 Million seized in luggage left behind at Bandaranaike International Airport December 9, 2023
- Air Arabia launches direct flights to Sri Lanka from Abu Dhabi December 9, 2023