Court issues arrest warrant on Wimal Weerawansa
The Colombo Chief Magistrate today (June 19) issued a warrant for the arrest of Parliamentarian Wimal Weerawansa for not being present in Court in connection with the case filed against him over his 2016 protest in front of the UN office in Colombo by Cinnamon Garden police.
The case was filed on the charges of causing public inconvenience by blocking the roads around the United Nations (UN) Office in Thummulla, Colombo by National Freedom Front (NFF) leader Wimal Weerawansa and five others who gave leadership to a protest when the then UN Human Rights Commissioner, Prince Zeid Al Hussain visited Sri Lanka in 2016.
Parliamentarian Wimal Weerawansa was not present before Court when the case came up before Colombo Chief Magistrate Prasanna Alwis.
Later, the court also ordered the case to be recalled on September 11.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023
- IMF chief Kristalina and Sri Lanka President Ranil discuss ongoing reforms and debt restructuring efforts September 21, 2023
- Two killed, two injured in shooting at Avissawella September 21, 2023
- Batticaloa Campus returned to Hizbullah September 20, 2023