Court orders issued prohibiting ‘Thileepan’ commemorations in Colombo
The Colombo Fort Magistrate’s Court and the Maligakanda Magistrate’s Courts today (September 19) issued an order prohibiting the commemoration of Rasaiah Parthipan alias ‘Thileepan’ in several areas in Colombo, in a manner causing disturbances to the public.
Rasaiah Parthipan alias ‘Thileepan’, was a member of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) which is a proscribed organisation in Sri Lanka, and died while on hunger strike in 1987, during which he had articulated five requests to the Indian Government, aiming to encourage them to apply pressure on the Sri Lankan Government to fulfil those requests.
The court issued this order taking into consideration the requests made by police citing that several organisations are planning to commemorate Thileepan today (September 19) within Colombo Fort, Maradana, Slave Island and Kollupitiya areas causing disturbances to the public.
Accordingly, the Colombo Fort Magistrate’s Court issued the order prohibiting commemorations in the Kollupitiya, Colombo Fort and Slave Island areas, while the Maligakanda Magistrate’s Court issued the order prohibiting the same within the Maradana area.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023
- IMF chief Kristalina and Sri Lanka President Ranil discuss ongoing reforms and debt restructuring efforts September 21, 2023
- Two killed, two injured in shooting at Avissawella September 21, 2023
- Batticaloa Campus returned to Hizbullah September 20, 2023
- Dasun Shanaka to remain Captain for ICC World Cup 2023 September 20, 2023