Daljith Aluwihare suspended from functioning as the Mayor of Matale
Attorney-at-Law Lalith U. Gamage, the Governor of the Central Province temporarily suspended Daljith Nandalal Aluwihare, Mayor of the Matale Municipal Council from holding his post with immediate effect.
In Extraordinary Gazette dated the 25th and issued today, Retired High Court Judge Sarojini Kusala Weerawardena was appointed to inquire and report within 3 months time, whether the Mayor of the Municipal Council Matale has committed any misdeeds described in Section 277(1) of the amended Municipal Council Ordinance (Chapter 252).
It adds the commission shall have the powers of a Commission appointed under the Inquiry of Commission Act, pertaining to this inquiry.
The Extraordinary Gazette further noted, Sandanam Prakash presently the Deputy Mayor of the Matale Municipal Council, is directed to perform the duties and use of powers of the Mayor of the Matale Municipal Council with immediate effect.
(Source: News 1st)
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023