Defence Secretary says no room for Separatism and Extremism
No room would be left for separatism and extremism in 2021, Defence Secretary General (Rtd) Kamal Gunaratne yesterday warned. He said that the government had taken all steps to thwart such attempts.
Commenting on recent reports on issues that would affect national security, Gunaratne said, “Nobody would be allowed to take up arms.”
“Yes, we released some prisoners to reduce congestion in prisons but remand prisoners involved in large-scale drug trade were not released.” The Defence Secretary also said that the government had held several discussions with the countries where some of Sri Lankan drug barons lived. Eighteen red notices too had been issued through Interpol to nab such people, he said.
Commenting on the prospects of alleged human rights violations being raised yet again at the UNHRC, he said, “There were no war crimes; we carried out a humanitarian operation”.
(Source: The Island)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023