Deforestation: Sri Lanka Air Force launches aerial observation
The Sri Lanka Air Force has launched aerial observation in an effort to curb deforestation.
Secretary of Defence Maj. Gen. (Retd) Kamal Gunaratne raising concerns over widespread illegal forest resources degradation said attention into deforestation is imperative and it is vital to identify such attempts before logging.
He stated the President had alerted the Tri-Forces and Police to thwart such attempts, adding therefore a decision was reached to monitor the matter via aerial surveillance.
He also requested District Secretaries and Government agents to be vigilant and stand against the deterioration of the environment leading to depletion of forest resources.
The Defence Secretary, highlight the recent upsurge in land grabbing incidents, also stressed that a special unit has been set up to nab persons involved in land grabbing.
(Source: News Radio)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023