Devananda says will vie for NP Chief Minister post
Traditional Industries and Small Enterprise Development Minister Douglas Devananda said he expects to contest the Northern Provincial Council Election to be held this year.
Responding to a question by a journalist at a press conference at the Information Department yesterday, the minister said he would be contesting for Chief Minister of the Northern Provincial Council.
The minister said returning unutilised funds of the local government authorities to the Treasury is a usual procedure adding that the unutilised money given to the TNA controlled Local Government Institutions in the Northern Province for last year has also been channeled back to the Treasury.
Devananda said according to the new and ongoing projects in the Northern Province, money would be once again allocated for 2013 for these local government authorities.
He said the financial provisions to the TNA controlled local government bodies were not invested properly for development projects and activities.
Courtesy: Daily News
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- U.S. Deputy Secretary of State commends Sri Lanka’s economic efforts February 23, 2024
- Nightlife will play a vital role in Sri Lanka’s economic growth and tourist experience February 23, 2024
- Moon landing today: US clinches first touchdown in 50 years February 23, 2024
- Johnston Fernando requests immediate probe into Sanath Nishantha’s death February 22, 2024
- CEB Spokesman Noel Priyantha resigns over controversial remarks February 22, 2024