Dilanka Isuru Kumara wins Bronze for Sri Lanka at Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games
Weightlifter Dilanka Isuru Kumara won Sri Lanka’s first medal at the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, in the Men’s 55kg category, on Saturday (July 30).
Finished behind Mohamad Aniq Bin Kasdan of Malaysia who won Gold, and India’s Sanket Sargar, the winner of the Silver medal.
Isuru Kumara lifted 105kg in the Snatch and 120 in the Clean & Jerk to finish with a total of 225.
Kasdan lifted 107 in the Snatch and 142 in the Clean & Jerk, the latter a Games record, for a total of 249, with Sargar finishing just a point behind at 248, after lifts of 113 and 135.
Elsewhere, Sri Lanka’s Ganga Senavirathne finished seventh in the Women’s 100m Backstroke Heat 4, clocking a time of 1:06.17 secs.
Australia’s Kaylee McKeown won the heat with a time of 59.58 secs, with Senavirathne unable to qualify for the next round.
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
Dear SriLankan malli/nangi – I am soooo very proud of you! What you have done to put SL on world map in good light is totally fabulous and exhilarating! Now when I consider your achievements compared to what some of your same age group misguided brothers/sisters in SL have achieved, i.e. by bringing sheer shame on Sri Lanka with so called aragalaya riots/looting/arson/killing etc, I will stand up and salute you once more!